Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Botany of Desire

I read The Botany of Desire years ago and recently stumbled upon the program of the same name on PBS. I got sucked into Michael Pollen's world yet again. I was reminded of my second favorite section of the book, Tulip representing Beauty. Listen to this, each year we spend billions of dollars on something that serves no practical purpose and has a short shelf life. Why? Just because we think it is beautiful. I really like that about us. We cherish flowers. And what a boring world this would be without them, no? Inspired by the PBS special, (click here to see when it's showing in your area) I picked up some tulips.

Hey, where do you think you're going?!

And only one hour later. Petals are visibly separating and we have another rouge one! 
Besides beautiful, tulips are one of the more entertaining flowers.

This post is sponsored by my ancestors who were Dutch tulip farmers. ;)
Specifically related to the chap in the overalls in the right back.

8 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

yes, tulips can be entertaining :)

Morgan said...

Tulips are my favorite!!!

Anonymous said...

i love tulips but i hate that they "go rogue!" im always irritated

Jackie said...

oh, awesome, Dutch tulip farmers! We have a tulip farm about one minute from our house that we love to visit in the spring.

Katherine Krieg said...

oh my goodness - totally adore those tulips and find it so charming how they fall.

Jon said...

I knew you were special ;]

Lindsay said...

Tulips are so simply pretty. That's so cool that your ancestors were tulip farmers!

Kelly said...

I love tulips :)
And I love love loveeee the family picture and a peek into your family history! So fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...