Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Road to Hana

The road to Hana started with a trip to natural foods Mecca, Mana Foods. Planning on stocking up on some good fuel for the road, I am kicking myself for taking those silly outfit pictures back at the condo before we left because if we were just 5 minutes earlier, we would have ran into this guy.

Apparently he was dressed and had a hat on, whatever. All the cashier girls were going on and on about how Samantha's boyfriend was there and such. Owen Wilson apparently frequents the store too. Moving on....Mana Foods is in the adorable sleepy lil hippie town of Paia. A must visit for any future Maui goers.

The road to Hana is all about the journey and not the destination. Mainly, coming around bends and having the road suddenly open up to views like this one. It was breathtaking.

Beautiful vegetation everywhere.

Lots of hidden swimming pools. 

Hiking down to a waterfall. 

Since we went in the summer, the falls were not as abundant as during the winter. Still, a sight to see. 

Time for roadside pulled pork! Some of the best food we ate in Maui was from roadside stands or trucks. Before we went back to the car, someone had cat radar....

No, sir, I don't want the banana leaf bowl, I want your cat. 

Near the end of the journey is the black sand beach. Something something volcano. 
I think by this picture you can tell who was the driver and who was the passenger. 

Typical Hawaiian plate lunch in Hana. Two scoop rice, BBQ shredded pork and pineapple coleslaw. For the record, we don't eat like this at home. 

Honor system roadside fruit stand! We got an avocado and papaya, put our money in the box and went on our way.

9 comments:

Anna said...

gorgeous! ummm I mean Hawaii, not the vodka hunk, of course ;)

Morgan said...

So awesome! And yes, I would have completely kicked myself missing that beautiful man. :)

Nikki Sanchez said...

FUN!!!! I remember stopping at that black sand beach with my family when I was in like 5th grade. How long did it take you to get to Hana? I remember it taking like 10 hours, but back then just going to Antioch seemed like an all-day trip haha :)

Erin said...

So I've been to Maui like a dozen times and you are talking about stuff I've never done! Now I need to go back and do that stuff. :-) I've done the road to Hana but never been to this store you're talking about or Mama's Fish House or O'o Farm. It all looks completely fabulous!

Islandia Lane said...

omgosh first, adore the honor system - could you imagine how the world would be if we could all grasp this concept ::sigh::

2nd, just love all your pics - makes me want to take a trip so much already!

Leslie said...

Loving all of the pics Holly...

Nicole Marie said...

my mom wanted to do that drive but we have way to many car sick people in our family.

Lindsay said...

Loving your adventures. So picturesque and the food looks amazing. I could totally see you stealing a cat from a road-side shop, and that one's adorable!

Lindsey said...

This cracks me up! Coming back from London on Tuesday, my husband saw Chris Noth (Mr. Big), in the airport at LAX and took pics for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...