Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Eating well in Austin

When you are pregnant, there aren't really any vices other than food. So I was pretty stoked to visit this foodie town, so much so that I did amazing research and had a list of about 70 food places to try. For a 6 day trip. Yeah. If you ever make it to Austin (and you should, should should!!!!!!) these are some of the places that must grace your list.

Torchy's Tacos. Amazing flavors and quality ingredients. Actually most places we went to had amazing flavors and quality ingredients. So just believe me. Order the street corn, you will not regret it.

Homeslice Pizza. Great for a late night slice of pizza to eat on the bustling street, South Congress. Everyone and their mom was here at around 11pm. Amazing pie and great people watching.

Bouldin Creek Cafe. OMG. The best non-breakfast taco breakfast of the whole trip! This place is mostly veggie, I think and almost everything is organic. My spinach omelet was topped with walnut pesto and it was a party in my mouth. Also, take note, tomatoes that are in season are red, not light white pink. Yum.

Hopdoddy. I would fly to Texas just to go here again. The most stylish little burger joint I have ever stepped foot in. My turkey burger was out of this world, the fries topped with honey mustard or the chipotle ketchup were divine and my caramel and sea salt milkshake was incredible. The layering of flavors and the cool modern style of this place made Hopdoddy one of my top 3 places.

P. Terry's. A drive through burger joint to rival In-N-Out. And bonus points because they have veggie and turkey burgers!

TacoDeli. We went here for breakfast tacos, but their regular menu is pretty extensive. Two of the best tacos I have ever had. I don't know what it was, the ingredients weren't ground breaking, but maybe because everything was so fresh and well-prepared it tasted better? I don't know, but this place was well worth the 20 minute trek from our hotel.

G'Raj Mahal Cafe. Let's not forget about Indian food! This place was so cute and located right next to the funky popular Rainey Street. It is served out of a trailer but there are cute tents and tables with misters and fans set up so you feel like you're at an outdoor restaurant. I have had my share of Chicken Tikka Masala and somehow they manged to change it up slightly while still keeping the flavors I love. Well done.

Food Heads. Excellent lunch spot right near the University of Texas in a cute old converted home. Not cheap, by any means, I think our two sandwiches and two coffees rang up to $26. Yikes. But I was so impressed with the flavors on my sandwich, it didn't sting too bad. My pork tenderloin sammy had jalapeno relish and Tabasco slaw, intense!

I could go on and on, but really, the food in Austin was beyond satisfying. It was easy and accessible, so many places were out of trailers or go up and order and they bring it to you. Sit down places were actually more rare. I think even if I didn't have my list and just walked around aimlessly, I would have ended up eating really well. Part 2 will cover the desserts and drinks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! i've heard austin has a fantastic food scene--looks like you hit some excellent spots!

Jackie said...

Droooolz. This is not good for me to see when we are on a tight budget right now. Def want to head to Austin!

Lyndsy said...

oh my lord. i want to eat everything you posted here. amazing! great pics and thanks for the tips!

Morgan said...

I'm heading to Austin in two weeks so the timing of this post was perfect! Can't wait to try some of these!

BrigittaR said...

I want to eat EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL.

ahhh I wanna move.

yours truly, melissa said...

Austin is sooo great & now I have a hankering to go back. My husband lived in ATX for ( years after he graduated highschool & loves Salt Lick. He uses their API Ed for BBQing at home.

Homeslice is excellent. Did you get a tshirt? They have the cutest & softest tees.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...