As you can guess by my super creative post title, I changed my name. I'm super curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the topic of taking your husband's last name. I ended up dropping my middle name, making my maiden name my new middle name and taking Jon's last name. I didn't think it would be such a bid deal to me, but it really was. First, I like my name. My first and last name each have 5 letters and both end with an 'ly'. Second, I'm the only one, if you google my name, I come up, I'm the only one. Kinda rare. So I am gaining a lot more letters, going to the end of the alphabet and slipping into anonymity. But! At the same time I am so honored to be carrying Jon's last name and creating a family one day with the same name. There never really was a question if I would change my name or not, it just surprised me a bit how reluctant I actually was. For those of you that are married, what did you do? For those of you not married, any ideas what you'll do?
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





16 comments:
I took Guy's last name but if I could do it over again,I kind of wish I would have kept mine. By the time I decided I wanted to keep it, I had already lead his family and him to think I was changing so I didn't want to hurt their feelings. I do miss my old last name though!
i'm still not sure what I'll end up doing. i LOVVVEEE my name. It's unique and its ME. BUTTT I also really love the idea of one day having a family and being referred to as "The H***** Family" :)(not sure how much to share on the Internet- hahaha).I think the unity of a family created with the same name will win me in the end:)
I'm so traditional that when.if (please God make that a yes lol!) I will take my husband's name. I will keep my last name as well though. My family last name is almost gone unless my bro has kids :( It's really sad and that's why I want to keep my last name as well. Plus I love my last name and like you, I'm the only one with my name :)
I def think i will change my last name...unless his name is awful lol ;)
I did not change my name and while it's still on the table I don't think I ever will. I want to see my name on my professional degrees and business cards. I want to represent my family name. . .
I took my husband's name. I considered replacing my middle name like you did but because of the cost, decided not to.
I actually hate my married name and often wish I wouldn't have changed it but it meant a lot to my husband and I didn't want our kids to have a different last name from me. I guess it was kind of a lose - lose situation for me!
I'm fairly certain that I will keep my last name. My last name follows old school tradition; it's (My grandfather's first name)'s+son. So for example, if my grandfather's name were Lars (which it isn't), it would be Larsson. So it's literally a family name, and feels extra hard to give up, being that I'm an only child.
On the other hand, there is something special about having the same name as your husband and children. I would love that, but I just don't think it will happen.
Well you already know how I feel, being as I changed my name... BUT I totally understand your reluctance. It feels super weird at first, like you are becoming a different person or something. It's a identity issue for sure. But you'll get used to it, and you'll be glad that you have the same last name as your kiddies. Plus, you can still pass on your fam history/name, I can identify with my mom's maiden name and even my grandma's maiden name!
Now I gotta change your name in all my contacts! hehehe :)
ps. Ummm hello do you even know how many "Nicole Sanchez"'s there are? Like, I've come across a few IN PERSON! so weird....
If the time comes I probably won't change my name.
I changed mine but that's because my maiden name was really difficult for most people. I can't remember all the times in school I was called Emily Takahasi or Emily Teriyaki. So, I was perfectly fine abandoning ship on that. Plus, growing up with a mom who did not share my last name for most of my school years- it was super weird when people would call her/assume her name was Mrs. T.
I'm going to do like you did, drop my middle name and make my maiden name my middle name. I have no attachment to my middle name, it's just a generic 80's name, and I'd rather keep my old last name because I'm a little nostalgic to be giving it up for a new name too.
Thank you!! I've loved reading every single one of these comments.
Funny, never even thought twice about it way back in 2002 when I got married. I did like my maiden name (Hughes) but I was just so excited to be finally married and having his name made it feel official.
I never really thought twice, but I had a really hard time right after. Kinda like a new identity, little weird but getting adjusted has been harder then I thought.
Not married but I love the idea behind taking your husbands last name and I love that you made your maiden name your middle name! Best of both worlds!
Post a Comment