Monday, June 4, 2012

What matters before birth

I just finished this fascinating book on what happens and matters while the baby is in the womb. If you are planning on becoming pregnant, are pregnant or are looking for a gift for a pregnant friend, this is the book! As the sub-title states, this book is about how so much of our lives are already mapped out by what our mothers did and didn't do while they were pregnant with us. Here are some parts that stood out to me:

-Mothers who carried babies during 9/11 passed on PTSD to their children. The babies were "taught" in the womb that they need to prepare for the scary world out there, then when they were born, that wasn't the case and now many have unnecessary anxiety and problems with attention.

-Eating foods like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and green tea provides the baby with less chances of getting cancer later in life.

-Mothers who eat particular foods often, the babies will favor once they are given solid foods because they previously became accustomed to it while tasting the amniotic fluid.  Flavors detected in the fluid: garlic, curry, cumin, mint and vanilla.

-Overweight mothers are likely to pass on heart defects to their babies.

-The earlier in the pregnancy the mother occurs a major stress (death of a parent, war, natural disaster) the more likely the baby will be affected by it.

-Some mild stress is good, it makes the fetus' brain more mature, benefit's the baby's motor skills and mental development.

-Effects of smoking or drinking during pregnancy is far worse than smoking crack cocaine.

-Light drinking during pregnant has good results in babies when they get older. (It wasn't defined what light drinking was, could be one drink a week.They think because it makes the mom more relaxed, but they aren't sure.)

-More stress and chemicals in the world is producing more girls; the male fetus' aren't surviving as much.

-It is said that Mona Lisa was pregnant!

-Early lead exposure to the pregnant mother results in offspring with high rates of juvenile delinquency and adult crime.

-Babies born in late summer/early fall are taller and have thicker bones because their moms were exposed to more sun (vitamin D).

Up next: Bringing up Bebe

7 comments:

Nicole Marie said...

verry interesting

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Very interesting! I'm not pregnant but loved Bringing Up Bebe - can't wait to hear what you think!

Lindsay said...

Wow. I'll have to pass this on to my pregnant friend. Obviously I'm not expecting, but I loved Bringing Up Bebe. I think some of the tips are common sense, but the reasons behind them are great.

Erin said...

I found that book really interesting, too! RE: veggies -- Dr. Oz once claimed if you eat broccoli every day of pregnancy you prevent cancer in your child. Which is crazy if it's true. Problem is those first couple months broccoli doesn't exactly sound thrilling to the palate.

poptartyogini said...

Good thing I love broccoli!! I had no idea about Mona Lisa. I really enjoyed the fun facts!

BrigittaR said...

The flavour detection is so fascinating. Im guessing I'll have a baby that likes cumin and coriander!

Jackie said...

Wow, it's mind boggling how they even research and make some of those connections. Like how many broads were really consuming copious amounts of broccoli during their pregnancy? ;)

I think you will like Bringing up Bebe. I love how it takes all of our American points of view and really turns it on it's head!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...