Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Make-ahead breakfast sammies

Breakfast is my favorite meal. Hands down! I love any and all breakfast foods and always loved it when my mom would make "breakfast for dinner". This is why work day mornings are always tough for me, I want the most awesome savory breakfast and always run out of time. Some people can be content with a piece of toast or a bowl of cereal, but not me. Enter: make-ahead English muffins with egg, sausage and cheese!

Obviously the ones found at fast food restaurants or the frozen ones from the store are loaded with fat and nasty preservatives, so making my own was the way to go.

First, bake your eggs in an oven set to 350 for about 25 minutes.

I subbed the original recipe's sausage for my fave veggie "sausage". I've been eating these for years and they are really the best imitation sausage on the market. I baked these in the oven before adding to my sammies since all the other ingredients were cooked, but it does seem a little weird to cook something that is frozen only to re-freeze it. 

Assemble the muffins with your choice of cheese. Since I went with the whole wheat muffins and the veggie sausage I decided to get the full fat (read: flavor) cheddar cheese. Oh, wondering how little ol' lactose intolerant me can eat cheese now? Me too! Just one of the weird and wonderful parts of this pregnancy. 

All cooked and ready to freeze.

All done! Now I won't feel guilty microwaving one of these before I head off to work.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummers!

Holly said...

I love this! I'm going to have to attempt these, my bf will go nuts for it!! Also, what a good idea to cook the eggs in the ramikin dishes!

Jackie said...

Great idea!

Kelly said...

These are brilliant!!! Must try these at home :)

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

oooh yum. I am officially craving for some breakfast food right now and it is already 11:30pm. yes pm...Maybe I could squeeze in breakfast food for my midnight snack? hehehehe

Lindsay said...

Breakfast is my fave meal of the day too. Def going to make these asap. Thanks girl!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I need to do this! Such a great idea!

mackenzie said...

i HAVE to make these!! a perfect solution to my every morning problem!! =)

henning love said...

these look so good and are very helpful for those mornings that never seem to come together just as perfectly as you planned in and you have to eat breakfast on the run!

Michelle said...

Look at you planning ahead - I am so impressed! I need to try something like this.

yours truly, melissa said...

great idea! i'm always in such a rush in the morning so breakfast to go is always appealing.

how does the bread hold up after being frozen and then microwaved?

poptartyogini said...

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day too but it has to be sweet. Pop tarts or frosted flakes. I love breakfast for dinner though and these would be perfect on nights where I'm short on time. Yum!!

Micaela said...

what a GREAT idea!!! thank-you so much for sharing because i am just like you :) cereal is a snack, not breakfast ha even BEFORE i was pregnant.

I loveee the veggie sausages! and believe in cheese on everything. ;)

Nicole Marie said...

SUCH a good idea!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...