What is more festive and successful than getting you into the holiday spirit than baking gingerbread men? And I mean really baking, not using a pre-made kit from William Sonoma or the clearance section at Ross.
Gather everyone up! A fair amount of ingredients on this one. Oh, I should mention I used this recipe from King Arthur Flour. Notice I have baking soda and baking powder. There is a difference.
Martha always mentions it, and I always forget.
On the list, ground cloves. Well, I only had whole ones. What's a girl to do?
Break out her never-been-used mortar and pestle!
Presto chango!
Molasses! A word about molasses. At the store they had full flavor and mild. I got full flavor. Once I opened the bottle I swore at myself for not getting mild-by how insanely strong it smelt. Well, the flavor was not at all overwhelming once the cookies were done-so I would not recommend mild at all!
Once you have prepared the dough, wrap it up real good and refrigerate it for an hour or more.
Meanwhile, feel free to go out shopping and grab a bloody mary with a friend!
Cuteness. Use lots of flour-these guys are sticky. And bake on parchment paper!
And finally, decorate! I had a couple casualties
(X face and BURN) from rolling out the dough too thin, so be careful.
You will also see I made a Mr. T (lower right corner).
*P.S. For the record, my favorite Spice Girl was Baby.












12 comments:
I'm so impressed with your energy. I have nowhere near enough to attempt that. Those look yummy!
so the first time i read this, i was like omg william sonoma stuff at ross!
then i reread, and realized im the type of "chef" you would laugh at. man you guys are amazing.
i was posh. in case that suprises you.
Love your Mr. T!! hahahah:)
These are so cute! Especially the Mr. T, of course. ;) I'm totally in the baking spirit so will have to try these soon . . . I made sea salt caramel brownies the other day and they are to die for!
I've never made those but they are so cute!
Girl, I like you style. Gingerbread men, Bloody Marys and Mr. T. What else could you want out of life?
Homemade gingerbread men?! I didn't even know people did this... seriously. I thought it was always out of the kit! Way to go! Only two burned too... serious kudos to you!
too cute to eat!
Your blog is my new favorite... Haha love the BURN cookie.
I think we may we long lost sisters or something- bloody mary's (or ceasars as we call them in Canada), cookies, diy projects, and cocktails? Yes please.
I've never even thought to make my own gingerbread men! I saw an apron the other day that was the prettiest thing I have ever seen. Maybe if I buy it, I will become an amazing baker. That makes sense right?
those look awesome!! great job on Mr. T :)
bahaha to BURN
Post a Comment