Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Food to Flowers



After reading Lulu Power's easy entertaining tips in this month's Sunset magazine, I knew I had to have her book. It arrived yesterday and I know this will be a book I reference for years. Lulu is a former caterer to the celebs and now has written a book essentially on party planning and all that goes with it. After just reading the first few pages, I am shaking my head at some of the major mistakes I let happen at Jon's graduation party we hosted last year.

So far, here are some of my favorite bits of Lulu's advice (paraphrased):

-Store extra ice in the washing machine if you don't have enough room in the freezer or coolers.
-Chill wine in 20 minutes by emerging in a half filled bucket of ice water with a handful of kosher salt.
-Offer a beverage to guests right away. People feel more comfortable holding something-especially if they don't know anyone at the party.
-Attach a kitchen timer to your apron.
-Write directly on white porcelain with a Sharpie to give dishes a more personal touch. (Menu, Welcome, Names, etc) It wipes right off.
-To keep mugs or serving ware warm, fill them with hot water while drink/ food is being prepared and then once food is ready to transfer into their respective dishes, it is already hot. (Obvi get rid of water and dry)
-Infuse sugar with vanilla beans, it takes one week and is a dream to bake with.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Great tips! I never would have thought Sharpie would wipe right off!

nicole said...

The cover is cute enough for me to get this book! great find!

Unknown said...

looks great! ...especially because those look like my famous peanut butter squares right on her cover. I like her already.

Denise said...

I might have to borrow that book! :)

Jackie said...

You know what, I read that article the other day and I thought to myself "this sounds right up Holly's alley". For reals. She also has a great article in this months Country Living.

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Cute book!

Summer Athena said...

this is fabulous. loved the ones you highlighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...