I recently read this post about 8 New Rules for Sunscreen at A Cup of Jo and read through all the comments. Things are not so simple anymore, when I think the only rule might have been to wear it. Lots of comments from women saying they don't wear sunscreen because fear of vitamin D deficiency and ones that love the organic sunscreens but also use the chemical laden self tanners. And the ones that avoid the sun altogether from 10AM-2PM (when the sun is the most dangerous). People are all over the map! It motivated me to read the rules, read all the ingredients on my sunscreens and do a major overhaul.
All of our sunscreens. Ones for baby, ones we purchased on our honeymoon when we ran out, ones that were pricey, ones that were cheap. Here they all are. First up, looking for the hormone disruptor and chemical that enters your bloodstream...oxybenzone.
These 3 had it, not surprised actually. They are the cheapest and most mainstream sunscreens I owned. Past tense, since I tossed them after this recent discovery. Reading up on Banana Boat on the Environmental Working Group website and its all really scary. They have the worst scores, even their baby blocks. Most of them also carry Vitamin A (Retinol) which may speed development of skin tumors and lesions.
These sunscreens were all listed on the EWG's list of 184 sunscreens that meet their criteria. The lower the score the better and LaVanila scored a 1 and the others pictured all scored a 2. The two pictured in the top photo, Korres and Jose Maran were not on the list. The Josie Maran product is a moisturizer with sunscreen that I LOVE but was puzzled it was not on the Moisturizer with Sunscreen list. And I cannot find a reason why the Korres did not make the cut, my only guess is it's low SPF of 25.
Of the winners, the California Baby is loads easier to rub in because it is mineral based which is the titanium oxide cutting down on zinc that is so very white.
What about you? How are you when dealing with the sun?
Monday, June 10, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

.jpeg)
.jpeg)




5 comments:
thank you for doing the research for me!! i was so bad in high school and never wore sunblock but am now a sunblock nazi. i still lay out but i've been to the beach the past 2 weeks and have yet to get tan because i was reapplying sunblock so much
Good info to have, thanks for doing the research! Bye bye neutrogena!
Very good to know! Will have to buy my niece some of the babyganics stuff and get myself some lavanila.
Interesting! I'll definitely have to look into this more. I recently bought a bottle of babyganics sunblock, so I'm glad to know that it's a good one!
I've been worrying about the sunblock I put on the girls now too. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to research!
Post a Comment