Tuesday, June 18, 2013

crayon making

As Jonas' first birthday creeps closer and closer I have begun thinking about his party. With the party comes a lot of things that can be costly, like favors. I'm not stoked on spending money on plastic crap made in China that will be thrown away after the day is done. I know kids look forward to the goodie bags and the kids at the party will range in age, so I decided on crayons in fun shapes. Most kids like to color and the babies can use them soon enough.

I put a request on my local Freecycle asking for used or broken crayons. I got 3 responses; 2 from teachers that "had" to get rid of their crayon stash because every fall they "have" to put out new supplies. I got BAGS of crayons that were perfectly fine, maybe 5 broken ones. Insane. For free, the best part!

Some of my crayon loot.

Besides the crayons you will also need a fun mold to melt the crayons in. I got this fruit one from eBay for $3.99. Most silicone ice cube trays can withstand high temperatures so when you search you don't have to search for baking molds, but ice cube trays too! IKEA has some great ones for $1. 
You will also need a knife and cutting board that you can dedicate to this project, no food should touch them from here on out.

Then you cut up the crayons in tiny pieces and fill the molds! You bake at 250 for about 8-10 minutes and allow them to cool completely, about 15 minutes. I think they are beautiful little pieces of art. 

{The grapes are my fave}

I have been saving baby food jars thinking I could use them for something and now I have! I will add the crayons in the jars for the birthday favors. I obviously need to get more, but maybe I can put another Freecycle request out or ask my mom's group.

I plan on spray painting the lids some fun colors to complete the look. This whole project (that provides me with supplies that will last well beyond the party favors) cost $3.99. Not bad!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE. So clever :)

Brigitte said...

So cute! I love it!! :)

Laura said...

Way cute idea! What kind of theme are you planning for Jonas' first bday?

Holly said...

Laura-kind of like Lil Indians. Thinks lots of teepees, dreamcatchers and feathers :)

Michelle said...

What a cute idea, I love the fruit shapes, way to make crayons prettier!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...